[PD] allpass~ and phase shifting

Sean Costello seancostello2003 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 9 19:50:11 CEST 2004

Hi Stefan:

The term "allpass" refers to a filter that has a gain of 1 for all
frequencies. There are lots of topologies (first order, second order,
lattice), but the main types you will encounter in computer music are as
follows:

- Delay-based allpasses, where the allpass filter contains a delay line with
a large number of samples. These are usually used in reverb construction.
- Lower-order filter allpasses, such as first-order and second-order
allpasses. These are less common in computer music languages. Csound has
them (phaser1 and phaser2 - I programmed them a few years back), and MAX/MSP
has a 2nd order allpass (called phaseshift~). Usually, several of these are
arranged in series, and the output of the series is mixed with the input
signal to produce the classic phase shifting effect.

I am not sure if anyone has programmed first or second order allpasses for
PD. You can definitely use biquad~ to obtain a 2nd-order allpass response.
For that matter, you could get 2 first order allpasses out of biquad~ as
well - you need to multiply together the transfer functions to get the
proper coefficients.

The one issue with using biquad~ (or phaseshift~, for that matter), is that
the classic analog phase shifter uses a bunch of first order sections in
series, with feedback around the entire network. The feedback needs to have
a vector size of 1 to sound correct, while the filter coefficients do not
necessarily have to be computed at the sampler (they can be computed at a
slower rate).

Sean Costello