[PD] hdsp & pd (again..)

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 22 15:25:41 CEST 2004

On Thursday 22 April 2004 10:21, julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net wrote:

> Actually, I thought the total latency depended on the audio program you use
> ; qjackctl tells the lower limit, but when you run an audio program latency
> increases more or less, depending on the program
> Am I completely wrong ?

With jack, yes. Although there are programs that communicate with jack through
buffers, so they will have a different latency depending on their internal
buffers. But that will affect only that particular program.

Qjackctl may give only the one way latency, that is proportional to the output
buffer size. I am not sure, it may also give total latency.

In the help files of pd there is a latency test patch. (I think it is in the
extra dirctory somewhere) You have to connect you output to your input of
your soundcard and it will give a rough estimate of the latency.

Gerard