[PD] GEM + Logitech Quickcam = no textures

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Tue Apr 27 03:36:18 CEST 2004

So, here's some another issue I'm having getting pd running smoothly on linux. I've got a Logitech Quickcam Pro
4000 and kernel 2.6.3 which has the pwc (phillips webcam (also for the logitech 4000)) kernel patch. I can plug
in the camera, fire up camstream and the camera works fine and dandy. However, in Gem, trying to texture the
pix_video to a sphere:

[gemhead]--[rotateXYZ]--[pix_video]--[pix_texture]--[sphere]

I don't get any texture, just the white sphere. I tried pix_videoNEW and pix_texture2 and doing a
[pix_pix2sig~]--[pix_sig2pix~] in there, and none of that changed anything. When I start rendering I get this
feedback, which would seem to mean it's working except maybe the last line:
//begin
GEM: Start rendering
pix_videoNEW: starting transfer
starting transfer
cap: name Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 type 1 channels 1 maxw 352 maxh 288 minw 160 minh 120

picture: brightness 31744 depth 24 palette 15

channel 0 name Webcam type 2 flags 0

setting to channel 0
buffer size 304128, frames 2, offset 0 152064

wanted format is 0x1908
setting cmcapture to 160x120    5
now trying standard palette 15
frame 0 0, format 15, width 160, height 120

GEM: pix_video: Opened video connection 23
vmmap 82A2364
VIDIOCSYNC: Invalid argument
//end

The kern.log shows positive seeming feedback, saying the following when I stop rendering:

pwc Frame buffer underflow (21825 bytes); discarded.
pwc Closing video device: 212 frames received, dumped 0 frames, 1 frames with errors.

On a subsequent try it said only

pwc Closing video device: 23 frames received, dumped 0 frames, 0 frames with errors.

As usual, any help, even a pointer in the right direction, would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou,
Ian Smith-Heisters