[PD] heavy crash

martin pichlmair pi at attacksyour.net
Tue May 11 14:57:55 CEST 2004

hi,

> i wouldn't have guessed this from martin's email that was explicitly
> talking about pd0.37+pdp+pmpd+pidip (i guess (at least: i hope) he
> would have mentioned Gem if it were in the list)

you are right - gem was not loaded.

>> but i experienced some freezes too with Gem
>> with that new kernel 2.6.
>> it did not use to happen with kernel 2.5 or 2.4.
>
> this is true.
> as far asi have tracked it down, it is really (honestly ;-)) related
> to QuickTime (and probably the combination QuickTime+openGL ??)
> i haven't tried pdp/pidip, but i guess it works ok here.
> anyhow, my reference is the "lqtplay"-application that is coming with
> the quicktime-utilities (so I haven't written a single line of this
> code) and it religiously (as chris would say) freezes with
> kernel-2.6(.3) - exactly like Gem.

actually i am using 2.4.22 exactly because of this (and because my
measurements show that i runs faster than the new kernel when it comes
to graphic processing on this computer).

for sure, the reasons for that crash cannot be found by discussing it
on the list. i was just so upset since i had not saved for some minutes
and what i tried to do looked good for the first time. you know the
process. maybe it was just a ruined quicktime movie....

but it could have been that someone experienced the same.

lg
martin

attacksyour.net/pi