[PD] Re: bad screen distance

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Sat May 22 20:17:49 CEST 2004

On Friday 21 May 2004 20:52, Larry Troxler wrote:
> I'm sorry to ask this, but what causes this error message? I find it
> happens upon loading help patches for externals (about 50% of the time),
> for example, and it's not limited to any one externals author.
>
> Lately, I've found it best to use the external's source code as
> documentation, because of this problem. But if I can get the help system to
> work, it would probably be easy to just load the help patches.
>
> Larry Troxler

Hmm, I might be on to something here. I load the aenv~ help patch. Sometimes,
I get the error before the patch is fully loaded - I say this because some of
the objects appear, but they are not connected. Other times, the patch loads
fine, but it is only when I click the bang that writes to the array I get the
error message. In this case, everything still works, except that nothing is
drawn in the array.

How can I go about troubleshooting this? I see this bug has been there for
quite a while and nothing has been done about it. It's actually quite
serious, because it means it's not easy to get help on externals.

Is there something I can modifiy in PD to get a stack trace or the like from
Tk? The message seems to come from Tk directly, because I can't find the text
in any of the PD source code.

Larry Troxler