[PD] readsf~ harddisc access

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Tue Jun 15 12:52:36 CEST 2004

> > You might examine other possibilities as well. One big one is if you
> > have a Pentium 4 processor. I've been fighting with CPU spikes in PD
> > for a very long time now, and often find them related to denormal
> > numbers. These are numbers very close to absolute zero, but not
> > quite there, and are characterized by an extremely long series of
> > digits after the decimal point, and which kick a P4 CPU into
> > extremely slow and accurate mode. I found the problem to be much
> > worse under Linux, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist under
> > windoze.
> >
> So, i've read some of the previous postings on this, and it surely
> sounds like that has happened to me. I read a tip about adding noise
> to critical sections of the patch, but can't really figure out how
> much and in what kind of situations. It would be great to see a patch
> which does this.
one possibility is to add noise of about 1e-10 ... also the PD_BADFLOAT
macro that's supposed to flush denormal numbers to zero ... but it's
only killing numbers that are already denormals... i'd suggest to use
the devel_0_37 branch since it contains a small patch that flushes
almost denormal numbers to zero ... it helped to reduce cpu spikes on my
p4 ...

cheers...

 Tim                          mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de
                              ICQ: 96771783
--
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live,
the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn,