[PD] how to understand pure data logic?

lee lee at fallingforward.net
Sun Jun 20 20:51:08 CEST 2004

andreithomaz wrote:

> hello list,
>
> I am a visual artist, and I am working with Pure Data and GEM from some
> weeks ago. Because I have a good knowledge of programming languages (c,
> c++, action script), it is not so hard for me. But I would like to ask
> you indications of resources to understanding the logic of programs like
> pure data. I would like to organize something like 'pure data for visual
> artists', to find tutorials for people with no programming knowledge,
> people who work fine with Photoshop, GIMP, video editors, etc. I think
> that most of come come from musical background, and have already used
> some programs that make the learning of Pure Data easier. With GEM and
> Framesteing, Pure Data becomes very interesting for visual artists, but
> I don't know how to start the work about its logic with people with this
> background (visual artists).

I learned patcher languages with Max/MSP. I would recommend playing with
that to get started. After doing some small projects with PD I've found
that Max/MSP is more forgiving and has more ways to do the same thing.
The downside of this is most Max patches I see are completely
unintelligible to anyone but the author. PD is far more concise but the
keywords may not be totally obvious at first. [throw~] and [catch~] as
well as [spigot] really threw me for a loop, as well as the lack of a
gate/switch object.

I have also found the tutorials and manuals that are included with PD to
be very good. My background is not in C but as I learn more C syntax I
find that PD is quite similar.

-lee