[PD] Re: [PD-announce] pool 0.2.0 - a hierarchical storage object

Josh Steiner josh at vitriolix.com
Wed Aug 11 23:05:59 CEST 2004

>So you do it the same way as I do.

if i ever get around to releasing bitvitriol to the public you'll
probably chuckle at the similarities :)  i think you and i started doing
almost exactly the same thing in the same way at the same time... talk
about convergant evolution.  at some point i will probably attempt a
merge with rrradical, but i havnt used rrradical too much, so im not
sure our two metaphores are 100% identical.  plus, with the way i think
pd handles abstractions, there is actually no more overhead to use both
rrad objects and bitvit objects in the same song file, since even though
theyd be using redundant state saving objects, the code is replicated in
every instance of the same abstraction anyhow.  so maybe the best
solution is for me to just write a memento->bv.state conduit...

>I agree it's less than slick, but on
>the other hand, major applications like Word work the same way. You
>first navigate to a file you intend to work on, then you change that
>file.

right, but in word your data (the text of the letter) and the metadata
(font info, etc) are in the same file, whereas a "song" in bitvit (and i
suspect rrradical) consists of a .pd file which is the "data", the
connections if bitvit objects and such, and a couple of other .txt pool
files, which is the metadata.  so as long as you open up the .pd file
through the bitvit provided wrapper, all is well, but if the user uses
the tempting "file->open" command on the pd window (which a friend of
mine did) then the patch will open and freak out not knowing where to
find its metadata.  i've contemplated using tot to overload the
file->open menu to load it through my abstraction, unless you can think
of a smarter way to intercept the open action...

>The good thing about this is, that you can even save the file
>in another location under another name. So you can keep two working
>copies or even use the same patch for several pieces.

two song files sharing the same metadata?  or two metadata's sharing the
same file?  interesting, but confusing :)

bis spater.  -j