[PD] Re: [PD-announce] pool 0.2.0 - a hierarchical storage object

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Aug 12 00:03:50 CEST 2004

Hallo,
Thomas Grill hat gesagt: // Thomas Grill wrote:
> Which means that there are at least three such systems (guess what i wrote
> pool for initially....)

Oh, I forgot you, of course. ;) There also is state saving in IEM and
in this large abstraction collection whose name I always forget.

Anyway apart from your unpublished collection which I don't know I
think (but might be wrong), that rradical/memento is the only
(published) one which actually handles hierarchies. (I suppose, yours
will or does handle this, too.) For example I have a adsr patch, which
could be used stand-alone, but can also be used inside other rradical
patches with full state saving and OSC control.  I do this for example
in rrad.fm2~.pd

This is an important advantage over the preset in Max or [state] in
GGEE.

And: Memento is very easy to use even for Pd beginners. The manual
only contains three simple rules:

1) create an [originator $1 $0],
2) cross-connect things needing save with [commun /yourName $0] objects.
3) Use your abstractions with a unique first argument starting with a /slash.

This simplicity is very intentional. State saving must not hurt, it
must feel natural, while still being flexible enough even for uses the
designer did not think of in advance.

In the end I hope, Memento will die because Pd offers something
similar built in. So Memento is just a working suggestion how state
saving and remote control could feel.

Ciao