[PD] bug(?): send/receive problem with gui elements

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Aug 22 22:23:47 CEST 2004

Hallo,
IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> a lot of logic is going on between all those s/r-pairs, which is hard to
> track down especially when trigger-problems might occur.
>
> tip: use [trigger] for explicitly defining when to send a message to
> [print] (e.g. what happens before things are [s]ent and what happens
> afterwards)

This probably is not (or not only) a trigger problem like we discussed
here lately, but more: it could be a problem with various
send/receives in various abstractions firing in a not clearly defined
order - and this while letting the sender in the end loop back to
itself. Very confusing and possibly dangerous.

Although there are triggers inside the abstraction as it should be,
it's not clear, which of the sends inside which abstraction
- for example in "sync/parse_sync2_1" - fires first.

So basically - at the danger of explaining the Pd language again and
the syntax of abstractions ;) - we might be dealing with an "order of
execution" problem on an advanced higher level. A very high level
actually.

What I would do if this was my project, is to remove abstractions
(literally "unrolling the loops") and see if the flow of the patch is
still correct. Then later I would work on carefully abstracting out
things again.

For starters it will probably be helpful to just replace the [r
$1-send] in the abstractions by inlets and speak to those though
triggers in a defined order. But as I still do not clearly understand
what the patch *should* do in the end, it's hard to say if this will
help.

Ciao