[PD] Pd 0.37.4 app test release for MacOS X

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Aug 22 23:58:33 CEST 2004

Very nice!  Real progress!  I would be great if you would work out of
the CVS and add some instructions to the README.  All of the files for
creating the Pd.app are in packages/darwin_app.

On Aug 22, 2004, at 8:20 AM, 0001 wrote:

> hi, I've put a modified version of the test MacOSX application package
> here:
>
> http://pure-data.info/Members/gerard/pd-0.37.4.dmg
>
> changes:
> * moved to the WishKit app package (distributed with tcl / tk BI)
> * added -nowish flag to pd
> * modified AppMain.tcl and pd.tk to launch pd -nowish and load pdtcl
> in the new structure, also completed drag+drop support ;)

Not only does dragging and dropping a .pd file onto Pd.app work, but
also double-clicking files in the Finder.  It will either open the file
in the existing Pd.app, or launch Pd.app if it isn't running.
Aaahhhh... finally!

> * recompiled pdtcl to link with embeded frameworks. For some reason
> @executable_path/../Frameworks seems to resolve to inside the
> Resuorces folder of the package, so I've copied the Frameworks folder
> there as well as a hackaround.

It would be good to have this all done from
packages/darwin_app/Makefile, since that's the Makefile that assembles
the Pd.app that I created.

> * added some experimental documentation menu  patches.

Help->Pure Documentation needs to be figured out.  The patches that are
included in the Pd.app are a good workaround, but I think in the long
run, we should figure out something that would be easier to maintain.
But perhaps having all of the docs put into a navigatible system of
patches would be a good idea, kind of like Pd hypertext.  But it would
add to the amount of maintenance that would need to be done.

> the biggest problem  is that it lacks the console. some feedback is
> available at  Console.ap, but not the  [print] messages. solutions
> that come to mind are the impd console or whatever tigital did with
> pd++  for going to Console.app (stderr). or maybe the Wish Shell's own
> console could be used.
>
> one effect of decoupling is that if you run into problems, you may
> need to manually kill the pd process.
> maybe  the tcl code could do this at startup. In general, the startup
> process may need some improvements.

This shouldn't be too hard to do.  Each instance of Pd.app (Wish
Shell.app wrapper for the pd process) could keep track of the pd
-nowish PID, then make sure to kill it when it exits.  The Tcl
exceptions could be used to catch crashes, etc. (if they are anything
like Java exceptions, I haven't really looked into them).

____

it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the
possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of
it."

                                                     - Thomas Jefferson