[PD] Data structures, symbol fields and drawsymbol

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Aug 24 19:41:35 CEST 2004

Hi,

(I'm working on the pd~convention workshop regarding data structures,
so excpect some more data structure related questions from me the next
time... ;)

I'd like to test using symbols as fields in [struct] objects, but I'm
getting the impression, that this doesn't work or isn't implemented
yet. At least it's not used in the data-structures example patches.

Nevertheless the documentation mentions symbols as a possible scalar
type to use in structs.

I can create a [struct somename symbol s] object just fine. Pd even
creates a [drawsymbol s] object which I found by guessing its name.
However when I try to create such a template using

[append subpatchname s]

[append] does not accept a symbol in its first inlet:

error: append: no method for 'symbol'

It also doesn't want a float in this inlet, which is to be expected
though. In fact, it doesn't accept anything anymore.

Am I right to assume, that symbol-fields aren't supported yet? Or am I
doing something wrong in attached patch?

Ciao