[Fwd: Re: [PD] Low Latency patch for kernel 2.6.8.1 anyone?]

Aymeric stm-sq at bleu255.com
Mon Sep 6 13:54:25 CEST 2004

and a little note from ck's site about preemption in 2.6 for those who
still wonder if they should use it or not.

"Preempt?
I recommend disabling preemption in the kernel configuration unless you
have a specific low latency requirement! It causes poorly written
applications to misbehave far more. The gains in lateny with in-kernel
preemption in 2.6 would not be noticable to a human, unlike 2.4 which
had much larger latencies in the kernel. For serious audio work, video
capture etc, you should enable preempt."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/

and interesting articles about preempt or not (so now you can get even
more confused)

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/2702

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/3440

+!
aym3ric.

ps: maybe it would be nice "one day" to try to gather pd "benchmarks" to
see what the best could be taken from 2.6 kernels and how, everytime a
latency talk is started it's always dying into mass-confusion. I think
it would be really great to have online somewhere, a kernel
recommandation guide for pd that has not be written for 2.4 and planet
ccrma (no offense, just looking for fresh docs).

ps: i'm aware such talks are mostly happening in linux-audio lists, but
my point here is to make this whole information friendly available for
users, as a single note about recommanded software setup. This could be
even extended to Gem and pdp/pidip, pointing on which drivers are the
most efficient etc etc ... just a simple "pd setup guideline".