[PD] readsf~ vs sfread~

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Wed Sep 22 10:38:59 CEST 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> use pd's built-in [readsf~] !
> it is certainly the best tested and optimized and (most important) it is
> available on any (recent) pd. no need for an external at all.
> the other objects are basically there for compatibility reasons (at
> least [sfplay] is; i cannot speak for günthers objects)

Well, I can only second that. Use readsf~ !

Guenter

PS:

I use sfread~ a lot because of its varispeed feature, but thats a personal
preference. It doesn't run on windows, so its not useable if you want to
be cross platform. I use it as the main player for PDa, because it was
faster for me to port it than understanding and porting readsf~.
It uses memory mapping, so its perfect to playback loops without
additional memory usage, which is important on devices with not
that much memory.

The other players have other advantages, like readanyfs ... and then
I think Thomas Grill wrote another incarnation of a multiple format
player.