[PD] linux for pd

chun lee leechun at leechun.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 22:59:05 CEST 2004

Hi there:

>hi , i bought a new laptop and i want to install linux  to have both
>linux and windows in the same computer. i have 75 gg hard drive.
>im new with linux, just tried knoppix and dynebolic bootable cds for a
>while. so the question is:
>which linux version do u recommend for a noobie linux user that want to
>use it for nasty pd patching????
>
>thank you
>
>pun chik

I went through pretty much the same thing about 6 month ago. Got a laptop,
completely new to Linux and wanting to try pd with it and kind of still want
to use XP just in case.

Well, I went for Fedora Core 1 then and was eventually made it to core 2.
Well fedora because I have heard of red hat and someone pointed me to
planetccrma which supports it.

With apt-get (in Debian too) plus synaptic, installing packages was straight
forward. Although I do believe that jack and FC2 ccrma kernel is not perfect
yet. Having said that. I have been using jack quite a bit lately on my FC2
and works good.

No problem with dual boot either, installing both FC1 and FC2 was simple, no
fuss. FC community was helpful too, got quite a bit of help in the
beginning. Oh, there are quite a few book around on fedora 1 and 2. In fact,
I got my first install disks from a fedora book.

AGNUlA/Demudi sounds very interesting, will have to check that out soon.

That's all for now I think

Yours

CHUN