[PD] linux for pd

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Sat Oct 23 10:12:48 CEST 2004

I run two systems, both dual booting w/ Windows XP Pro.

The first is Debian Sarge, which was a bit difficult to install, but has
good covereage for PD packages with apt. Generally more difficult to
use, but I have more control over things.

The second is Fedora Core 2 with Planet CCRMA. This was much easier to
install, given that this rig has hardware debian doesn't support at all
yet (apparently)--just pop the CDs in and it figured everything out.
People keep talking about "the new Debian installer", though, and I
don't know about that. Generally very easy to use, but I'm never quite
sure what's going on under the hood--but it "just works", so I'm not
complaining.

Hope that helps.

Anyone tried Ubuntu?

If you want to get all medieval and compile everything like Yves ;) ,
maybe check out Gentoo, which is what I would use if I had all the time
in the world. I hear its package manager, emerge, is better than sex.

I started with 33 gigs to windows and 7 gigs to Linux, but I keep adding
space to Linux and taking it away from Windows, as Linux is slowly
replacing everything I would use Windows for. Right now I think I'm at
25G/15G Win/Linux.