[PD] Peculiar counter behavior.....

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 7 10:52:01 CET 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Its about making simple float accumulator/counter patches. It sometimes
> > work, but sometimes not and I can't figure out what makes it work or not
> > work.
> Two additional remarks: Personally I find it easier to always make int
> counters, then modify those as needed. The practical reason is, that
> then you can use [mod] which is great for wrapping counters. (I'll let
> Mathieu explain the mathematical reasons, which involve the theory of
> Enumerability and Countablility. ;)

Heh. Well, I use [mod] in my counters, but it's not particularly because
of that. It's because I don't want two messages to be sent whenever the
counter gets reset, as further objects may expect a steady stream of
numbers (I often use counters as extensions of [metro]). BTW in school I
learned to configure 74XX 4-bit counter chips to loop at something else
than 16, and it involved making a [sel] out of logic gates and using that
to trigger a reset... but that's ok only because those chips don't do
messages, only signals.

Countability :-) is something entirely different, which is both a
favourite topic of mine and completely outside the scope of pd. (Well,
except maybe just for saying that real numbers aren't real, that it's just
a name, and that floats are a different thing, unlike whatever PASCAL
accidentally insinuated and indoctrinated)