[PD] Using ov519 webcams (Eyetoy) with pdp/Gem (jpeg frames)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Dec 18 22:06:50 CET 2004

Hallo,
Frank Barknecht hat gesagt: // Frank Barknecht wrote:

> The driver packags comes with lots of documentation (but partly in
> german) which also contains this quote
>
>  - For OV519 cameras: Standard JPEG Compression is used. You need an
>    application that supports this. Only the included test/getjpeg
>    program does so far as I know.
>
> The getjpeg.c code to my eyes looks quite simple (at least it's very,
> very short), but I really don't understand all the v4l stuff yet and
> especially not, how this could fit into the architectures of Gem or
> pdp.

I have found another piece of software which already supports ov519
cams called "showvideo" and available at
http://www.wlug.org.nz/archive/software/ov51x/ With this, grabbing
moving pictures at 640x480 will make my 900MHz Athlon CPU run at 98%
load. ;)

But at least it is working. showvideo used libjpeg to decode the raw
data from the cam, then imlib to display it.

Ciao