[PD] pd on ubuntu linux anyone?

altern enrike at altern.org
Thu Dec 23 13:50:59 CET 2004

hi derek

>> anyone has compiled PD under Ubuntu linux?
>

> For x86 Ubuntu, you can simply add unstable Debian apt-get repositories
> and get PD and family as deb packages. You might try the same thing with
> the PPC version, and hopefully the PPC developers have PD in there and
> up to date.

> The line I added to a friend's x86 Ubuntu /etc/apt/sources.list was:
>
> deb http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2004/12/06/debian/ testing main
> contrib non-free
>
> Then do an:
> apt-get update
> apt-get install puredata
>
> and use:
> apt-cache search [packagename]
> for the other stuff.

ok, I never used apt-get before so this is good time to get into it :) I
will try this.

> This should get you PD, GEM and several other externals [if you find
> them by package name, of course], but not PDP or PiDiP. I don't know of
> any PPC debs for those.
>
> Ubuntu should have synaptic installed, if you prefer a GUI for package
> management.

Yes, it is there i have used it few times, i guess i have to dig into it
a deeper.

>> i have recently installed ubuntu on my mac and today finally found
>> some time to try to compile Pd and some other apps i need. I get
>> different errors when compiling ....
>

> I'm afraid you won't get much help if you don't post the errors.
> On Linux, you can select the output in the terminal and use the middle
> mouse button to paste it someplace else [like in an email to the PD
> list]. This probably won't work with the Mac mono-button trackpad,
> however ;-)

Yes i know. its just that i am still setting up my modem connection in
Ubuntu (taking me ages) so i am wrinting from OSX and i cannot remember
the error, I should have pasted it into a text file. I will do it next time.

and this reminds me that i cannot try the app-get until i solve the
modem problem ... great.

>> I dont know Linux very well so i am not sure what to do to solve it

> Post copious output to as may lists as you can!

i will

many thanks

--
enrike