[PD] controlling robots/printers w/ PD

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Sun Mar 27 04:57:06 CEST 2005

Le 26 Mars 2005 16:12, Robert Garvin a écrit :
> Ok.. here's the deal. The printer is usb, and I've used the HID object, and
> it didn't recognize it (it may have, but it was on a usb hub.) also, the
> robot would be connected via usb. I thought about the wireless idea, and
> thought about the wireless mouse, but I wasn't sure if the part that plugs
> into the port had both a send and receive function to transmit info. An IR
> port would be neat, except it would force the robot to stay within
> line-o-sight (or reflections) of the port (this wouldn't be a problem if
> the robot was a stationary arm, which is what I think I should start with.

You could use a USB wireless radio transmitter and receiver kit:
http://www.superdroidrobots.com/EIC/RF04.htm
http://www.active-robots.com/products/accessories/radio-communication.shtml
http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/shop/USB-I2C_Wireless_Link2039.htm
The USB interface appear on the computer side as a serial device, and works on
Gnu/Linux, MacOSX and Windows. There might be other similar solutions.

--
Marc