[PD] building all external on linux

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Apr 12 01:14:05 CEST 2005

On Apr 11, 2005, at 6:34 PM, Tim Blechmann wrote:

>> Those have their own build system.  No one has added them to the
>> externals/build setup.  Ideally everything would be built there...
> well, i don't think that the external build system as it is at the
> moment is the best way to build externals:

Feel free to improve it :).  The bottom line is that it works for most
cases, and with a simple "make" you can compile most of the externals
in CVS.

> - it doesn't handle libraries

It does handle libraries, check out externals/build/src/ogg*.c and
externals/build/linux/ogg*.libs.

> - it doesn't handle flext externals
> - it doesn't handle special compile time flags / configure scripts /
>   whatever
> - it's using old pd header files (0.37)

Feel free to update them if that'll make a difference to something that
you are doing, unless Günter objects.  This build system that he wrote
is more flexible that you might guess, tho it is unorthodox.  But
considering how chaotic Pd development and the Pd CVS are, I think its
a good solution.

.hc

> my 2 ¢ ... tim
>
> --
> mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
> http://www.mokabar.tk
>
> latest mp3: kMW.mp3
> http://mattin.org/mp3.html
>
> latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
> http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/
>
> After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space
> would say "I want to see the manager."
> 				      William S. Burroughs

____

"Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a more
direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in practice, it
can change entire economies."

     - Amy Smith