[PD] 2 Gem questions

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Tue Apr 26 15:45:47 CEST 2005

Ok, time to chime in.

I've presonally never been able to gem Gem to render without messing up
audio. The way the render chain works DOES interfere with audio
rendering, at least it did on linux 2-3 years ago when I last did audio
and Gem at the same time.

For maximum flexibility you should run two instances of PD, one for Gem
and one for Audio. They can communicate using local socket
netsend,netreceive. To get even better performance put the audio on a
different machine than the video.

Maybe someone with better knowledge of PDs scheduling could chime into
why this happens and why some machines (patricks gentoo 2.6.11 (is that
a low-latency kernel?) seems to work great.

B.