[GEM-dev] Redundancy in PDP/Gridflow/Gem - was Re: [PD] gridflow for pd OS X(OT)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon May 2 06:12:52 CEST 2005

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, B. Bogart wrote:

> PDP/PiDiP
> + Centrally a pixelprocessing tool and does it quite well.
> + Nice new streaming additions in PiDiP
> - 2D only, not as much optimization as Gem. (?)

It has a module called 3DP which does OpenGL.

> - Seems not as well optimized (may be due to the fact that it is
> low-level pixel by pixel access)

I have no clue what you mean by that.

GridFlow works by global grid operations and not so much on a
pixel-per-pixel basis.

Grid transmission is done in a cache-friendly way: unlike GEM and PDP, it
cuts grids into small slices, and propagates one completely before sending
the next one.

The biggest remaining speed issue is because there is still an awful lot
of useless memory-copying going on, which is going to disappear Real Soon
Now. (but it's not trivial to fix)

(There's actually an even bigger speed issue on Mac processors, but it's
still a mystery to me.)

What I will need help on now, are bridges between PDP and GridFlow, and
between GEM and GridFlow.

Who's willing to help ?

  `-o--------------o--------------o-' | | Mathieu Bouchard (Montréal QC) |