[PD] pd-0.38-4 / kernel 2.6 / scheduling / lockups

rama medialist at xicnet.com
Mon May 2 12:14:48 CEST 2005

hi PDrs

I can't figure out how to avoid PD to freeze when using kernel 2.6

I've just downloaded and compiled pd-0.38-4, and trying to use the
compiled externals from previous version (0.38-2), ok, some don't load,
but basically all the ones I need, they do.

and the point is that very randomly PD freezes with the "watchdog" warn
on the console.

I saw around some discussions about freezes with pd and kernel 2.6
and heard about the scheduling code from kernel not being so smooth,
and -rt as not recommended using 2.6, but I even recompiled the kernel
2.6.11.8 without scheduling as well as without preemptive features.

but lockups continue exactly on the same way.

I've read a post here from Tom Schouten saying the problem could be
solved running X and the window manager, and he posted a link to a
"setrt" tool, but I didn't have much success with all this stuff yet.

beside those, I read Günter patched the memlock with Tim's code, as the
memory seems to be quite different (from Günter's words), and that could
solve the -rt flag problem.

However I wonder if this fix applies just to the debian package or to
the PD source available from Miller's site.

note: I'm just using an audio patch, and any kind of video processing in
this case. and tried both with and without -rt (should force using
-nrt?).

last info: seems like the upcoming kernel 2.6.12 will have important
fixes to the low latency stuff, and I don't know much more than that,
just found it here:

http://lalists.stanford.edu/lau/2005/04/0147.html

any tips to bring PD to stable in kernel 2.6.x is very welcome.

many thx!
rama.