R: [PD] New external on neural networks

Davide Morelli info at davidemorelli.it
Mon May 9 00:32:38 CEST 2005

IOhannes,

I agree the best place for my external is inside ann (that is why I posted
to the list) and I also agree that it should remain GnuGPL.
I will just rename it from "nn" to "ann_mlp", is it ok for you?

It is the first time I put something in CVS so please be patient and help me
not messing up your code: my external needs fann so it will need a different
makefile from ann and ann_som, I think is better to put ann_mlp in a
subfolder than ann and ann_som, something like
externals\ann\ann_mlp
Am I right?
Or is it better to change the makefile and put everything in the
externals\ann\src directory?

I am honored to share an external with you,
by the way thank you for GEM, zexy and the external howto (I wrote my
external only thanks to it!).

My external has one major problem: the training process.
It is tricky to fill a file with training patterns but the real problem is
that when I train the network using the training file I halt pd until the
function returns (see train_on_file function) which can take minutes. This
slows down the pc. Is there a way to do it in an asynchronous way? Something
like creating a thread? Is out there an example of external using threading?

Davide.