[PD] trouble with shoutcast~/icecast2 mp3 stream

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Tue May 10 09:56:30 CEST 2005

Iain Mott wrote:

> hi list
>
> I'm trying to stream mp3 audio with shoutcast~/icecast2. Have followed
> the Gentoo Howto as well as the shoutcast~ howto.
>
> Everything seems to work fine, however when I try to connect to the
> stream with a browser and xmms, the stream is saved to disk rather than
> played by xmms. This happens on my local machine, but also on remote
> machines attempting to connect (so i'm told by a reliable source using
> both PC and Mac).
>
> Should I be specifying some kind of playlist that references the
> stream?

Yes! Create a textfile called playlist.pls (or whatever name, just the
file ending pls is important) with the following content:

[playlist]
numberofentries=1
File1=http://yourdomain:8000/stream.mp3

This assumes that you stream on port 8000 and that the mountpoint you
entered is stream.mp3.
Then link to that file instead of linking directly to the stream.

Olaf