[PD] sending TCP data to Pd as a list

Pall Thayer palli at pallit.lhi.is
Mon May 16 21:44:38 CEST 2005

Actually, using [route] is how I usually do it. You can send several
messages at once, terminating each with (;). So here's how I usually do it:

[netreceive]

[route 1 2 3]

and maybe send a message like this:

"1 steve;2 mike;3 george;"

 From [route], outlet 1 will output steve, 2 outputs mike and 3 outputs
george.

That way I can also send:

"2 mike;3 george;"

and nothing will go out [route]'s first outlet.

Pall

David NG McCallum wrote:
> Pall,
>
> Oh my god, it works. The thing that was confusing me is I was trying to
> use [route] to sort the data, then I tried messages and dollar signs to
> extract certain elements, neither of those worked.
>
> Now the big problem is that I'll have lists of varying types sizes
> coming in to Pd... It's kind of hard to use [unpack] to handle all
> possibilities... sheesh.
>
> But at least these solves some of the problem... thanks!
>
> David
> __ _  _  _ _ __ ___ _  ___ __ _ _ _ ____ __
> Music wants to be free   http://sintheta.org
>
> Pall Thayer wrote:
>
>>On second thought, maybe you're looking for something slightly more
>>detailed. You can send something that looks like this "steve george
>>mike;" connect [netreceive] to [unpack s s s] and steve will go to
>>outlet 1, george to outlet 2 and mike to outlet 3. I think the thing
>>with comma's is that PD doesn't recognize them so it just stops reading
>>when it encounters one. Could throw everything off because it wouldn't
>>receive the line terminator (;) either.
>>
>>Pall

Pall Thayer
artist/teacher