[PD] Re: [PD-dev] Draft Templates for PD reference Files

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Mon May 16 23:05:11 CEST 2005

Hey Hans,

Thanks for taking a look at the templates, I was very much looking
forward to your feedback. Ok so comments inline...

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> How about a standard subpatch called something like [pd
> PDDP_META_DATA]?  Then the CATEGORY and KEYWORDS comments would go in
> there.

GREAT IDEA! Since this part is largely for software parsing we should
give it a short simple name [pd META] A logical place for meta-data of
the future to go (if there is a future for patches as documents!).

> I think they should be as tight as possible so that the help take up as
> little screen space as possible while keeping the important content
> there.  So for example, get rid of the "HELP: float" line, and just
> have the [float] line there instead.

Ok, I'm working on template-6 with [pd META] and removed the top line.

> We should also come up with standard links/subpatches.  For example, I
> don't know whether each help patch needs a [pd Related Objects]
> subpatch.  The all_about_* patches could have that info.  I think that
> the [pd More Info] subpatch is definitely not necessary, that would be
> in the all_about_* patch.  I think a better standard link to have would
> be float-examples.pd, with -examples being a standard extension.  There
> could then be an index of -examples.pd patches.

Yes, Actually I realized that the "hyperlink" that Krzysztof is working
on should cover the whole idea of "linking" rather than GOP abstractions
with arguments. If for no better reason to reduce clutter and the
screen-space the links take up. Krzysztof where are you in terms of the
design of the hyperlink? I see a few different things it would be great
to link to: (Should I put up a wiki page for this?)

* HTML / PDF documents Locally
* HTML / PDF documents Remotely
* PD files (all_about & -help & -example patches)

What do you think Krzysztof?

To make the connection between the -help, -example and all_about (how
about -about? Same bonus of sorting) A structure for all_abouts is
required, so the links are not all over the place. In the worst case
each patch to link to all others. For example I thought float should
link to "all_about_data-types" but all_about_math or all_about_numbers,
even all_about_guis could be as important (more?). So I propose three
extensions for "doc" patches:

*-help.pd for reference patches
*-example.pd for example patches
*-about.pd for all_about patches.

> My vote is for 4 or 5.  I think 4 is a bit tighter, but 5 will have
> more room to link to other patches.

Ok, I've based template-6 on template-5. Seemed the fav of those (few)
who commented.

> As for all_about_ patches, I think it should be a different format.
> The current two column format works pretty well, I think, with some
> fine tuning.

I agree that the format should be different, but similar. I'll get on
this after a good start for -help patches. I agree that two columns is
the way to go, using some ques from the -help template.

Ok, I'm going to wiki some of this and put up template-6