[PD] Re: [PD-dev] Draft Templates for PD reference Files

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Tue May 17 13:01:48 CEST 2005

hi Ben,

B. Bogart wrote:
> screen-space the links take up. Krzysztof where are you in terms of the
> design of the hyperlink? I see a few different things it would be great

I have already committed a prototype to cvs (source in miXed/pddp,
test stuff in miXed/test/pddp).  That was a week ago (have not
looked at it since then, though).

The external, pddplink, seems to work here after plain "make" in
miXed/pddp.  Either "miXed/bin" should be a part of the Pd path,
or, if the dll is to be `installed' to some other place, the three
tcl scripts: pddpboot.tcl, pddpclient.tcl, and pddpserver.tcl,
will have to go there as well.

Eventually, the proper place for those scripts would need to be
pd.tk, or, even better, they would make a separate package
required or sourced at Pd startup.

The pddplink may be instantiated as [pddplink localpatch.pd].
When clicked at, it will directly open localpatch.pd in a new
window.  Until it is clicked at, there is no localpatch in memory.

It may be instantiated as [pddplink whatever.notapatch].  When
clicked at, it will pass to a web browser the local link
"http://localhost:<port-of-pddpserver>/whatever.notapatch".

It may be instantiated as [pddplink anyscheme://whatever.notapatch].
When clicked at, it will pass to a web browser the link, global
or local, "anyscheme://whatever.notapatch".

By default, the object has no inlet and no outlet.  What remains
to be done, is designing its default appearance: no selector, no
box, distinct color, another color when pointed at, mouse pointer
shape, etc.

It may be instantiated with a second argument (possibly more in
future), which controls the object's appearance.  Currently,
the only recognized value is "box".  A boxed pddplink has one
inlet and one outlet.

Since back-linking from html to pd is handled by pddpserver, it
works only for local patches, and only through the
"http://localhost:<port>", not through the "file://" (no way,
until Pd is mime association-friendly, which it probably never
will be).  The main drawback is that for back-links to work,
a user has to start browsing from Pd.

Krzysztof