[PD] no licensing, no money?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed May 18 07:45:34 CEST 2005

On May 17, 2005, at 7:27 AM, Thomas Grill wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> i think hans proposed using a bounty system for the pd development...
>> like this idea very much ...
> what i don't like about the bounty system, is the idea of
> "competition" or "hunt" which is not really compatible with
> "community" to my mind.

In theory, I guess bounties could be competitive.  But in practice, I
don't think they would be.  For the most part, Pd devs work on there
own stuff, and there isn't much overlap.  So bounties would allow users
to fund the development of features that they want thru a process that
is much more open than just giving money to a specific developer.

We definitely should discuss this more.  SourceForge has a mechanism
for accepting donations for the group, but the hard part is figuring
out how this group would handle the money.  One idea is to have one
developer, one vote, and work that way.  Each developer registered with
SourceForge would have a vote.  Those who have contributed lots to Pd
but are not currently part of the SF project would be encouraged to
join.

Just my two bits...

____

"Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a more
direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in practice, it
can change entire economies."

     - Amy Smith