[PD] no licensing, no money?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed May 18 18:49:03 CEST 2005

I am certainly not opposed to setting up a NGO, I just think it would
be a lot of bureaucratic work in the short run, but quite useful in the
long run.  It would have to be something that is meaningful
internationally though, considering both where the developers come from
and where the users are.

I think that if we received money that was not attached to a given
bounty/feature, then that money could go into a meeting fund.  So if
some institution just wanted to support Pd without any specific
requests, then they could give money to the general meeting/community
fund.

.hc

On May 18, 2005, at 3:14 AM, günter geiger wrote:

> I think the idea of Christian to form a non profit organization
> that receives the money is a good one. The money then would be spend
> for meetings like the pd-dev meeting, workshops, etc.
> The meetings get organized by the developers community.
>
> The bounty systems doesn't convince me.
>
> Guenter
>

> On Wed, 18 May 2005, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> On May 17, 2005, at 7:27 AM, Thomas Grill wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> what i don't like about the bounty system, is the idea of
>>> "competition" or "hunt" which is not really compatible with
>>> "community" to my mind.
>>
>> In theory, I guess bounties could be competitive.  But in practice, I
>> don't think they would be.  For the most part, Pd devs work on there
>> own stuff, and there isn't much overlap.  So bounties would allow
>> users
>> to fund the development of features that they want thru a process that
>> is much more open than just giving money to a specific developer.
>>
>> We definitely should discuss this more.  SourceForge has a mechanism
>> for accepting donations for the group, but the hard part is figuring
>> out how this group would handle the money.  One idea is to have one
>> developer, one vote, and work that way.  Each developer registered
>> with
>> SourceForge would have a vote.  Those who have contributed lots to Pd
>> but are not currently part of the SF project would be encouraged to
>> join.
>>
>> Just my two bits...
>>
>> .hc

>> __
>> ____
>>
>> "Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a
>> more
>> direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in practice,
>> it
>> can change entire economies."
>>
>>      - Amy Smith

____

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.
								-David Zicarelli