[PD] no licensing, no money?

Alexandre Castonguay acastonguay at artengine.ca
Thu May 19 17:27:55 CEST 2005

Hello all,

At my University, we will donate to PureData next year, having a PayPal
account on the IEM (I have not seen one) and other sites would make it
easier.  I am also working on documentation with students.

With artengine (not-for-profit, artist-run organization), we support PD and
related efforts by presenting artworks and performances that make use of it,
supporting specific projects (such as the iobox and parts of GridFlow) and
offering workshops (next one starts on the 27th, Ben Bogart will present GEM
and PixelTango, any takers ;-?).

I agree with Maarten about selling a PureData 'product'.  An easy to install
package coupled with support could bring in some funding. It would make it
easier to justify giving money to free software while removing the stigmata
of : 'it's free (of charge) it must be a lesser product than a commercial
one'.

As I see it, such a product should be offered by a not-for-profit organisation
that is :

- Incorporated so that there is an elected board of directors and it's
operations are completely open
- Financially transparent

Perhaps the IEM should be where such an organisation should be started/hosted,
or maybe the just formed pd~graz Verein is it? Any such organisation would
bring it's fair share of discussions and administration overhead. PayPal
accounts do not get used a lot so maybe this is worth it.

Cheers,

Alexandre