[PD] Bounty [Re: no licensing, no money?]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri May 20 01:40:58 CEST 2005

The key here is actually getting the money.  If people are really going
to contribute money to a generic Pd fund, that would be great.  But I
think many other people would be much more likely to donate funds if
they know where that money is going to.  Both of these are good
options, and they can co-exist as well.

The big question is how we make decisions.

.hc

On May 19, 2005, at 11:45 AM, B. Bogart wrote:

> Me again,
>
> I agree with Guenter here,
>
> Imagine if "investors" in the corporate world had a say in what the
> company did with the funds. This would be a huge mess. The investor
> chooses to invest in the company "PD" and the investor trusts the
> organization to use the funds wisey. Some companies don't use them so
> wisely. This is partially due to the fact that investors in
> coroporations tend to know nothing and would make bad decitions.
> Hopefully PD investors would have more sense. In cases where the
> investor is a univerity though, then they could be considered as unfit
> to manage as the average corporate investor.
>
> I think improvements to PD as a community don't come from the
> "development" only but from all those other areas Tim mentioned.
> Commissioning work and workshops are great publicity and advocacy
> tools,
> the PR machine. This leads to more users which attracts more developers
> which attracts more work to be done on PD. I think any reasonable
> person
> contributing to PD should understand this and trust the
> organization/community to use the funds wisely.
>
> If a user does not have enough trust in the PD organization then they
> will probably not give any money for any purpose anyway.
>
> B.
>
> � wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 19 May 2005, Tim Blechmann wrote:
>>
>>> there is one the advantage of a bounty / marketplace / whatever you
>>> call
>>> it ... the donor decides, what he supports and what he want to