[PD] Re: [PD-dev] Draft Templates for PD reference Files

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Fri May 20 12:15:47 CEST 2005

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Eventually, the proper place for those scripts would need to be
>> pd.tk, or, even better, they would make a separate package
>> required or sourced at Pd startup.
>

> How about if there was a directory like "lib", where every .tcl or .tk
> file in there would be sourced by Pd at startup?

yes, it would make customizing of pd-gui much easier, and it could
somewhat improve robustness of gui externals.  If the purpose of
such a directory is customizing and extending locally (per user
or per site), it will never be overwritten with new Pd installs.

Another thing is splitting pd.tk, which is already too big, and it
might not survive adding more features by random patching.  This
is a typical case of a permanently makeshift code...  perhaps,
time to decide one way or the other about Tk, after all these
years?

> First a quick comment: 8080 is a commonly used port.  How about we use
> a high 5-digit port number?  That would prevent conflicts.  It could be

might even work passing 0 to "socket", although I vaguely remember
reading about an os where this causes troubles.  So, it currently
starts from 8080, and goes on incrementing until there is a free
port.  I think, the range of well-knowns is 0-1023, registered
range is up to 49151, should we start from 49152, then?
> Also, mime associations work well with the Pd.app on Mac OS X so
> file:// links would work no problem on Mac OS X.  I use them all of the

sadly, I have never used osx... so I wonder, does it support
running multiple Pd instances?  Is the association made by your
installer, or by (each user's) hand?

Krzysztof