[PD] number2

Miller Puckette mpuckett at man104-1.ucsd.edu
Fri May 20 17:48:56 CEST 2005

My original thought was to make it easier to debug patches, that controls
should have a different appearance when they "send" or "receive" messages
from elsewhere.  If you see a number changing that's connected to
an input on the screen, it's easy to assume that there are actually messages
passing down the connection.  Worse yet, you can copy and past a number
into another part of a patch and then be confused when it changes unexpectedly
because it's still got a hidden "receive".  So all in all I prefer suppressing
the inlet  -- REALLY suppressing it, like "number" -- over providing it, and
the same with the outlet if the box "sends".

I think it's a bad idea simply not to _draw_ the inlet and outlet, but
to implement them anyway, as the IEMGUIs do.  If there were some other way
to distinguish the boxes graphically, that would be better, but I can't
think what it would be.

cheers
Miller