[PD] Re: FW: Ambisonics in pd

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat May 21 21:29:41 CEST 2005

ggkarman at musicologia.com wrote:
>>I was wondering if anybody has implemented the ambisonics algorythm in a
>>pd
>>external yet.
>

> CICM's ambipan~ or ambicube~ might be what you´re looking for.

it took me some time before i found my way through all the dead links.

finally i found it at:
http://www.mshparisnord.org/download/CICM_TOOLS_PD.zip

just to continue my unselfish advertisments:
when i am talking about our ambisonics-implementations i was _not_
referring to gerzon's B-format (which is just 1st order ambisonics) but
about higher order ambisonics (this is: at the very least 3rd order).

imho, B-format is just a better quadrophonics systems, whereas
higher-order ambisonics can compete with WFS (wavefieldsynthesis).

but of course our applications are quite demanding (my first version of
a 3rd-order 3D-mixer needed to 800MHz PentiumIII computers to decode 24
mono input channels to the IEMcube (a hemisphere of 24 speakers); back
then that was _very_ fast)

mfg.a.r
IOhannes

PS: btw, i once have made debian packages for my 3d-mixer, you can get
them from http://debian.iem.at/iem/pool/a/abcdefg/
or you can add to your /etc/apt/source-list the following line:
  deb http://debian.iem.at/debian/iem testing iem
to get the family of "abcdefg"-packages

PPS: note however, that we are mostly doing applications (like abcdefg);
these might be very hard to "just use" for spatialization within your patch.