[PD] [OT] PC hardware recommondations for Linux

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Wed May 25 18:02:14 CEST 2005

Hey all,

This is pretty off topic.

I'm trying to figure out what PC to buy for my next linux machine. This
machine is going to be specifically for PD/Gem stuff, maybe a little
video here and there, but is meant to be a machine I don't depend on day
to day, but can lease for installations and/or performance stuff. So it
has to be solid.

My current PC is a duron 800 Abit KT7 with geforce2 card in it. I'm
hoping to get some performance getting close to my g4 1.25Ghz powerbook
with Radeon 9600.

For the graphics I'm looking at the Asus N6600 (256MB, FX6600) but I'm
stuck on the mainboard. And will probably be running an AMD XP 3000+ or
3200+

A windows guy recommended the Asus a7n8x-e deluxe which sounds really
great but I'm (clearly) worried about linux compatibility. I did a few
searches online and found very inconsistant reviews, for some people
everything works, for others almost nothing works. If I get this board I
would like all features to work, that is all usb ports, the 1GB
ethernet, the firewire (for Gem), and the 6 channel audio.

So are any linux PDers using this board and would recommend it? Any
hoops you had to jump through to get things like the sound to work? all
6 channels? Does the ethernet work without troubles?

Also I'm going to be running dual 160GB SATA drives in RAID to get the
best disk access bandwidth I can manage.

Also I'm considering the debian family, angula, ubuntu and the like.
RAID hard to set-up under these?

I'm also looking at the A7V880 but Its hard to see the difference
between the two boards.

So if anyone is using these boards with PD under linux and (hopefully)
actually using all the features, like all the audio channels, the
firewire input, the Gb ethernet please drop me a line.

Or if you just got a comperable PC and are very happy running linux on
it let me know.

Thanks all.

b>