[PD] Re: [PD-dev] pdogg hacks

rama medialist at xicnet.com
Thu May 26 14:26:03 CEST 2005

El jue, 26-05-2005 a las 00:00 +0200, Olaf Matthes escribió:
> rama wrote:
> > -- now --
> >
> > i've done some hacks to the pdogg lib from Olaf Matthes
> > (Olaf: are you still around?)
>
> Yes, more or less.

cool! thx for the reply

> > which have the following changelog:
>
> So you didn't find the threadlocking bug in oggamp~? :-)

hmm not really, I use oggamp~ quite much, and for many (and I mean a
lot) of hours it works without problems.

well... actually I was having some pd freezes recently when I moved to
kernel 2.6, but now it seems fine. (as I said on the original post
you've replied)

what I did was at least those critical bugfixed I've mentioned (however
I'm not really a C hacker but can handle some easy stuff it seems) which
were quite annoying and easy to fix.

i plan to continue working on the pdogg lib if you don't mind as you
left it orphaned ;)

> But seriously, I could post a much longer bugfix list, there are much
> more things that would need a change.

it would be helpful if you'd post this somewhere, or send it to me
offlist so I can try to handle that.

> But I'm sorry to say that I stopped development of this code as
> open-source and didn't want to start
> a war and thus never posted on the pd-list that these objects are now
> available for a small fee (small concidering the amount of time that
> went into it) at http://www.nullmedium.de/dev/oggpro/.

aha. I've hit nullmedium & oggpro, but didn't know you where part of it.

actually it's very sad to hear that someone who was doing open source,
and great stuff, starts to release binaries only, be it for a small fee
or none at all.

i wouldn't like to offend you, but this really means a retro-gression
(does this word exist??). you know what I mean.

with the evolution of the open source and the knowledge sharing, I can't
really understand that someone can step back again to the "closed"
conception.

and you say "small fee considering the amount of time that went into
it". then what about pd itself?? much more time and people were and are
involved (and each time more i think) and it's still free (gratis) and
open.

thanks for reading
shönnen tag,