[PD] Re: [PD-dev] pdogg hacks

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Fri May 27 08:57:19 CEST 2005

Hi rama,

> El jue, 26-05-2005 a las 23:02 +0200, Thomas Grill escribió:
>>>
>>> Ah, and you said you couldn't figure out how my oggamp~ was working
>>> so
>>> you made your own one.... another fork? :-)
>>
>> Oh, true, i remember now - it's not a fork but a new implementation.
>
> from my ignorance: what's the difference between a fork and a new
> implementation? as long as any changes to any software are not merged
> back into the parent (or can we say 'upstream' release?) I understand
> this is a fork, which means a breach opened into two different
> implementations published(?) under different names(?)

there seems to be a misunderstanding: as stated, i didn't take the
pdogg code at all. Hence it can't be named a branch or fork.
I simply made a new object from scratch, ignoring the pdogg code.

>> That's because it was contract work and it was faster to write it from
>> scratch than debug the existing code.
>
> sorry to come into this, maybe is not appropiate as I don't know (and
> don't have to know) the internals on what happened here, but,
> was the pdogg code so, let's say 'bad', as to not use it?
> it seems like contract works several times break apart with the concept
> of collaborativeness...

it has nothing to do with collaboration.
I needed an object to work for a given project, no matter if there
already was one with similar features or not.
I wouldn't say that the original code was bad, i simply didn't
understand the mechanics good enough to be able to fix some bugs or
implement features that i needed in reasonable time.

>> I think, WInfried asked me if we should put it on SF - it seems that
>> hasn't happened yet. Well - i had difficulties finding an unambiguous
>> name.
>
> sorry but, Thomas, this doesn't sound as a reasonable reason for not
> publishing back as open-source if there was at least the intention.

sorry, it's not publishing back - it's publishing at the first place.
Please leave people the freedom whether they want to publish their code
or not. It takes time to prepare a release or maintain code thas has
already been published.
Trust me, i know what i'm talking about.

> sounds more like a crash against Olaf's work which would block the
> publishing of this new creature.

sorry, can't follow.

Your idealism is very valuable, but it makes me angry that you argue
with false arguments against people that already have tons of code
released open-source and actively maintain it.
I'm already tired of this open vs. closed source discussion, which is
really useless in this context.

best future,
Thomas