[Fwd: Re: [PD] RE: audio click and windows firewall]

cyrille henry cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Sat May 28 18:50:48 CEST 2005

oups, I forget to reply to the list!

-------- Message original --------
Sujet: Re: [PD] RE: audio click and windows firewall
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 18:36:33 +0200
De: cyrille henry <cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr>
Pour: Phillip Stearns <mindphone_divided at yahoo.com>
Références: <20050528155455.83835.qmail at web51303.mail.yahoo.com>

hello

Phillip Stearns a écrit :
> Hello-
>

>>i just discover that the windowsXP firewall does
>>filter all message from
>>pd (0.38) to it's gui. this can cause lot's of click
>>or other trouble in
>>the audio processing.
>

> Where are the clicks happening or are likely to
> happen?
the clicks can happend when the firewall filter data : when you send
lot's of information to the gui, or over the network.

> I've been running PD .37 up to .38 on XP
> machines with scarcely a problem.
yes, no there is no problem if you don't have lot's of thing in your gui.

> I do notice that Norton and the Windows firewall
> attempt to block communication but I have told the
> firewall to Unblock PD.  It prompted me upon opening
> PD recently.
yes, usually you just nead to say "allow this connection". but the
firewall is slow. even if the firewall do not block the connection, it
have to check for every packet if it can pass or not.
and if it filter to much packets, it can stop the other process for too
much time...

> Again... all my patches have been click free from
> quite some time (even the hairy granular patches).  I
> still haven't gotten into working with my own FFT
> patches but I suspect that maybe this is where the
> click could happen?  Really I'm clueless as to what
> the trouble is all about.

the firewall slow down communication from pd to it's gui. this does not
mean that you will have audio click, but it helps.

In my application, (with a P4, 3,2GH HT, about 30% cpu used by the
patch, 200ms audio buffer) when i was sending about 50 packets from a
single bang (over the network or localhost), the all computer freze for
about 200 or 300ms. (gui + audio + gem + ...)

i have no problem witout the firewall.

But I made a litle mistake : it's not really microsoft firwall, but
McAfee firwall that was provided with windows by dell as a remplacement
as XP firwall.

> I will note that while using the Asio Full Duplex
> Device that I will get an occassional click or pop
> here and there but that's most likely due to the
> driver (worst when using the multiedia device so don't
> do it).  When I'm using my MOTU interface, I haven't
> had a problem since I downloaded the Windows firewire
> update.
>
> Also, clicks and other distortion can occur when
> trying to bring the latency down too far (below the
> buffer size on your audio card).  I'm not sure what
> the best advice here is though. Perhaps drop the
> buffer size on the audio card down and then reduce
> latency to just longer than the buffer size?  A 1028
> sample buffer is equivalent to just under 24 ms
> (44.1).  I run at about 20 ms latency with 512 sample
> buffer (44.1) just to be safe.  I suppose I could get
> the latency down smaller say 10 ms by using a 256
> sample buffer but I haven't tried that yet.

it would be interesting you try with and without xp firewall...

hope that help
Cyrille