Ant: [PD] loading dvds in gem

Thoralf Schulze thoralf_schulze at yahoo.de
Mon May 30 15:23:46 CEST 2005

Tim,

> is it possible to read dvd VOB files in gem?

If you're on win, it should be possible with avisynth.
You'll need Avisynth (which is a frame server,
http://www.avisynth.org)) and the appropriate mpeg2
decoding plugins (dgdecode,
http://neuron2.net/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec.html)
I can't test it right now (not sitting on my real
computer), but it should work along these lines:

1. create a d2v file of your dvd by running
dgindex.exe. This produces an index file that contains
mainly the frame order of your dvd.

2. create an avisynth script that reads your vobs
using the index file. It should contain the following
lines at least:

LoadPlugin("c:\path\to\dgdecode.dll")
mpeg2source("c:\path\to\indexfile.d2v")
converttorgb32()

you could add filters for deinterlacing or some other
stuff here as well, just add them before the
converttorgb32() line.

3. Open this avs file with gem and see if it works. If
it doesn't, drop me a mail ...

You shouldn't try to reverse the video and avoid
arbitrary jumps within, since avisynth is not exactly
optimised to do that sort of things.

I have no clue on how this could be done with linux
... One would need a frameserver for this sort of
thing. It might be possible to open a dvd with the vlc
client and stream it locally, I remember vaguely that
pdp is capable of opening network streams.

hope this helps,
Thoralf.