[PD] installing PD on osX

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jun 3 22:37:13 CEST 2005

On Jun 3, 2005, at 2:44 PM, B. Bogart wrote:

> Yes....
>
> On my todo list I have the task of:
>
> #1. Take a look at Thomas F.O.'s installer and see why he wants it
> "that" way.

> #2. Try Hans's RC's for 38 and 39
>
> #3. Make pixelTANGO work in Hans's

I think it would work currently if you just replace PixelTANGO.app with
Pd-0.38-4-extendedRC0.app in the /Applications/PixelTANGO folder.  But
it would be awesome if the absolute path stuff could be fixed so it
could become part of the standard distros, including Windows and
GNU/Linux.

> #4. See if any ideas from Thomas's installer are worth integrating
>
> #5. Do a prototype of the patch searching/indexing system.
>
> #6. Release it all as a prototype of the future SINGLE STANDARD .app
> for
> OSX. :)

That's what I am working towards...  I want to wrap it up for now since
I am sunk many days into it recently.  After that, I probably won't
make another release until 0.39 is stable.  Of course, anyone else is
welcome to, its all in CVS.  The more, the merrier...

> I mean ".app" here and not "installer" per-se.
>
> How can we make PD consistant on other platforms? Easy enough in
> windows
> to make something similar to the .app. On linux how could this be done?
> One option (ugly) I see is to create a mirror of the .app idea for
> linux, with a similar tree. This is standalone, no packages, no
> dependancies, everything included.. (sounds ugly) and some cute method
> for putting it  in the gnome/kde menu... For the user this could be
> great, all you do is untar and go, like firefox on linux. I guess the
> same thing could happen with packages?

I had the same thought.  It'd be ugly, but it'd work.  Maybe it'd be
good for a temporary solution.  Even better would be to update the
debian package stuff to be integrated into a cross-platform build
system.  Also, it would be very helpful if the PlanetCCRMA RPM code was
in packages/planetccrma_rpm.  Then that could be integrated as well.  I
tried to get Nando from CCRMA and Marc Lavalee to upload their stuff,
but it never happened.

> Anyone working on a linux versions of the OSX and windows package
> building scripts in CVS?

I've been meaning to pull out the cross-platform parts of
packages/darwin_app/Makefile and make a cross-platform
packages/Makefile so that there would be a standard layout of installed
stuff.

.hc