[PD] display waveform in GEM

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jun 6 00:42:21 CEST 2005

Hallo,
derek holzer hat gesagt: // derek holzer wrote:

> Following an idea from Gerhard Daurer, I'd like to look into displaying
> the waveform of an audiofile in a Gemwin. Gerhard sent me a prototype of
> a very cool patch combining my Particle Chamber with PMPD and GEM, which
> uses physical modelling to visually control the granulation of a
> soundfile. (And I hope he posts this same prototype here soon!)

I'm curious, too.

> In his version, he has only a set number of audiofiles to choose from,
> so he simply loads a JPG of the waveform into the Gemwin. However, I'd
> like to be able to load any wav file into this and get some visual
> feedback (i.e. be able to see the peaks). This would be a one-time
> operation, and not something that would be changing in realtime (except
> maybe a zoom in and out), however I would like that displaying the peaks
> doesn't interrupt audio processing (as drawing a table would).
>
> I'd like to use GEM for this so that the various grains could be
> graphically represented on top of the waveform. I'm open for PDP
> implementations, but I don't really consider PDP cross-platform so I'd
> rather stick with GEM.
>
> Any Gemheads out there have an idea of how to go about this?

well, I don't qualify as a Gemhead, but I made a simple patch which
does this using the method, I use in my msd-editor to render lots of
things inside one render command. I have first seen this in Cyrille
Henry's patches.

I didn't fiddle with placing the waveform in a nicer way.

Ciao

          _ __latest track: "scans" _ http://footils.org/cms/show/41