[PD] dropped frames with pdp question

martin pichlmair pi at attacksyour.net
Fri Jul 22 19:58:07 CEST 2005

> just wondering if someone could tell me dropped frames mean when using
> pdp.
> i seem to be be getting a lot of them. i'm using a patch that i wrote
> on another machine that did not behave like this. furthermore, it
> seems to be quite unstable.

a frame is dropped whenever there is no time to handle it. dropped
means discarded, thrown away. dropped frames should not result in
stability problems.

pdp itself should be rather stable- in most cases instability comes
from external libraries like the headache-inducing libquicktime.
certain codec decoders have serious memory leaks.

actually i never had a crash without either experimental code from
pidip or libquicktime involved (or my own experimental code of course
:)

lg
martin