[PD] Another Gem performance issue

Thoralf Schulze thoralf_schulze at yahoo.de
Sat Oct 1 14:01:27 CEST 2005

Hi Christian,

if you're capturing your live video at max resolution,
you should try to reduce the resolution ...
Capturing dv via firewire at full res pretty much
maxes out my cpu, which is a p4 running at 2.6gigs
(gem 0.90.1 on win2k). remember that we're talking
about more than 3mbytes per second that need to get
into you computer first and then onto your graphics
card. Lowering the resolution to dv_quarter leaves me
with about 20 percent cpu usage (and some spikes every
now and then), which is quality-wise a trade-off I can
live with.
appearantly, the process of getting those data into
the vram is much more optimised when running gem on
recent macs. a while ago, someone stated on this list
that displaying two hd-streams simultanously (1080i
each) left a lot of cpu power unused on this platform.

hope this helps,
thoralf.