[PD] Data Structures feature request

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Nov 1 06:51:35 CET 2005

On Oct 30, 2005, at 1:50 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Chuckk Hubbard hat gesagt: // Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
>
>> Since it isn't possible to delete individual scalars, what about the
>> possibility to have different types of scalars (or scalars with
>> different
>> values) drawn to different subpatches, and then have a sort of master
>> pd
>> display that could be set to draw everything from several different
>> subpatches. That way, for instance, to mute all the blue notes, I
>> could just
>> have pd-blue stop drawing to pd-score. Or one could delete all of a
>> certain
>> structure without deleting everything, simply by clearing the
>> appropriate
>> subpatch.
>
> For now, another approach also can be data structure subpatches
> layered in subpatches with graph on parent enabled. You loose the
> ability to edit all data directly in edit mode, but you can clear
> everything, that is in its own subpatch easily (like the subpatch with
> all the blue notes)

I don't know whether the 0.39 changes would obsolete this, but I have a
different workaround in my Solitude environment
(http://at.or.at/hans/solitude).  Basically, if I want to turn off a
track, I save all of the tracks in their own file, then clear all of
the data structures, then reload the tracks that I want to see.  It
works well enough.

____

"Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a more
direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in practice, it
can change entire economies."

                                        - Amy Smith