[PD] PD OSX packaging redux

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Nov 9 17:56:04 CET 2005

Hallo,
james tittle hat gesagt: // james tittle wrote:

> ...it wouldn't be hard to add a pd package to fink or darwinports,
> but I don't think there's that much demand since there's already
> several app bundles available...plus, who's got the time to make
> packages for the dependencies of all the externals?

But that's exactly the selling point of the fink approach: Someone
else would do this!!

In a perfect world, Fink has packages for libquicktime, libtheora,
ffmpeg, libfluidsynth etc. and what a Pd fink package would do, is
build Pd and externals using the upstream libraries as available in
fink.

The package management is intelligent enough to figure out the right
version of a library to install, to make Pd, Gem, PDP etc. run
correctly.

This is already working on most Linux systems like Debian, which was
the model for fink. Guenther, who maintains the Pd package, is not
maintaining the fluidsynth package, he's just using it to build the
[fluid~] external.

Ciao