[PD] midi..

Martin Peach martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca
Wed Nov 9 19:24:29 CET 2005

Frank Barknecht wrote:

>Hallo,
>Ken hat gesagt: // Ken wrote:
>

>>is it possible, (yet), to record and playback midi sequences in pd with
>>any externals?
>>

>You can do a lot even without any externals: For example, using the
>[timer] object and a handful of dollars in messages, you can record
>the data coming in from a [notein] object into a qlist:
>
> [notein        ]
> |          |   |
> [t b b f]  |   |
> |   |   |  |   |
> [timer] |  |   |
> |       |  |   |
> |       |  |   |
> [pack 0 0  0   0]
> |
> [add $1 NOTE $2 $3 $4(
> |
> [qlist]
>
>Then you can playback the [qlist] and will receive the stored sequence
>in a receiver called [r NOTE], which you can connect to [noteout] for
>example. Similar constructs canbe used for [ctlin] etc.

I'm thinking of using this technique as a way to input events to my
midifile writer, which I will code as soon as I can get some time
(unless somebody else does it first...). The ideal would be to have
midifile work the same way as qlist, with only the internal encoding of
the data being different, the advantage being that other sequencers
besides pd will be able to read it.

Martin