[PD] OSC in pd canonical (was Re: Re: pure == slow, impure == fast ? was purepd)

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Mon Nov 21 02:10:54 CET 2005

> Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:22:29 +0100
> From: Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Re: pure == slow, impure == fast ? was purepd
> To: pd-list at iem.at
>
> Hallo,
> Tim Blechmann hat gesagt: // Tim Blechmann wrote:
>
> > > Of course we all know, that patched stuff id Pd is slower than coding
> > > stuff in C. Still we patch in Pd, why do we do it? Because performance
> > > is not all that matters, ease of programming, the ability to change an
> > > implementation on the fly etc. - all that is important as well and it
> > > is the major reason, scripting languages are taking over large parts
> > > of software development: The performance of the programmer is becoming
> > > the much more important bottleneck than the performance of the CPU.
>
> Most importantly though: Not everyone has every external installed.
> This is a real problem which I learned the hard way with RRADical,
> where in the beginning I said to myself: Go crazy and use every
> external there is to do the work. This was a bad mistake, because now
> all the time people come asking (me) how to compile the needed
> externals on Windows and I cannot help them. That's why I'm working on
> replacing most of the stuff used in RRADical with builtin objects.
> Unfortunatly there is nothing that can replace [pool] and [OSC] in Pd
> yet, and I don't want to ditch OSC support in RRADical and I cannot
> ditch [pool], which is a constant pool of trouble for non-technically
> inclined users. :(

Which begs the question; why isn't OSC functionality included in Pd
canonical? After all, OSC is the new defacto standard in control
messages isn't it? And Midi functionality is included already in Pd.

Miller, perhaps you could tell us if there is a plan to include OSC in
Pd in the future?

Frank I think yr on the right track in terms of making the user experience
easier. Like it or not, users want to download one binary and install
it, or apt-get install it. Do you see it being possible to replace pool
functionality with the new list and data structures stuff?

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx
http://mccormick.cx