[PD] nosferatu namespaces

Georg Holzmann grhPD at gmx.at
Wed Nov 23 11:12:31 CET 2005

Hallo!

> note that the library does not have to implement an object of the same
> name. e.g. there is no [Gem] object in Gem, but you still can load Gem
> by creating an object [Gem]: the creation will fail but Gem will be loaded.

yes, an other problem is, that e.g. [zexy] has to be created before
[nop] ...

> i think that the [using] object should automatically add (an optional)
> library-prefix to objects that cannot be found.
> imagine you have a patch that contains [using zexy] (how comes this
> discussion always concentrates on my libraries...) and [nop].
> since pd cannot find a [nop] object anywhere in it's space, it would try
> to find [zexy/nop] which eventually is an abstraction
> ./extra/zexy/nop.pd and thus can be resolved and loaded.

yes, two things about that:
- this should be local to each abstraction (otherwise reausability of
abstractions is not guaranteed - there could be nameclashes ...)
- there should also be a way to not load all externs of a lib (like in
python "import nop from zexy" or in C++ "using zexy::nop" ...)

(but I think we already discussed this ...)

LG
Georg